The Operations Division of the Lower Valley Fire Protection District is responsible for the response functions of the organization including: community outreach, fire & life safety education, Advance Medical Services, fire suppression, wildland suppression, technical rescue services, and response to hazardous material releases.
Division personnel staff an Engine and Ambulance. Two career firefighters are on duty each day along with volunteer support. Giving the Operations Division a total of 9 full-time staff augmented by 16 Volunteers, all reporting to the shift Lt. who in turn reports to the District Fire Chief.
Fire Department Services
Firefighters do much more than just fight fires. They provide a wide variety of services within the community such as:
- Physically inspect commercial buildings for fire safety violations.
- Ensure fire permit requirements are complied with and current.
- Provide emergency medical services.
- Department Paramedics provide advanced medical assistance.
- Provide stand-by medical support at large public events such as concerts and sporting events.
- Assist the Fruit Police Department and work in conjunction whenever called upon, ensuring our neighborhoods are protected.
- Perform investigations of suspicious fires.
- Actively participate and/or sponsor a variety of community events, organizations and fundraisers.
- Work within the community to educate and raise general awareness on issues of fire safety.
- Provide “walk-in” blood pressure screening at neighborhood fire stations.
- Give free fire station tours upon request.
Fire and Life Safety Inspections
The field inspection program provides for the systematic annual inspection of all commercial occupancies. The Operations Division is also responsible for checking permits for hazardous processes, special occupancies and any activity which produces conditions hazardous to life or property.
The Fire Department participates and/or sponsors many community events and services throughout the year.
Firefighters serve as role models in fire safety programs for Fruita schools. Fire companies participate in Fire Prevention Week activities, numerous community parades, fairs and cultural events. Local fire stations have also sponsored needy families by providing food and gifts during the holiday season.